The California Maternal Data Center (CMDC) is an online tool that generates rapid-cycle performance metrics on maternity care services. The program is designed to support hospital quality improvement activities and support clinical decision-making around maternity care—using an approach that is low burden, low cost and high value for hospital participants.
Participating hospitals submit patient discharge data--that they already collect--to the CMDC's secure web-based tool, which can automatically generate a wide range of perinatal performance metrics and patient-level drill-down information. The rapid-cycle metrics are presented via an interactive and easy-to-use tool-for use by clinicians, managers and administrators.
- Overall hospital performance measures based on nationally-standardized definitions (Joint Commission and National Quality Forum)
- Physician-level statistics-to assess variation within a hospital
- Benchmarking statistics-to compare your hospital to regional, statewide, and like-hospital peers
- The ability to drill-down to the patient level via case review worksheets-to identify quality improvement opportunities-for both clinical quality and data quality
The current set of quality metrics includes:
- Elective Delivery <39 Weeks (PC-01)
- Episiotomy Rate
- OB Trauma (3/4th Laceration)
- Cesarean Delivery (AHRQ EXP-2)
- 3rd/4th Degree Laceration-Vaginal Delivery w/ Instrument (AHRQ PSI 18)
- 3rd/4th Degree Laceration-Vaginal Delivery w/o Instrument (AHRQ PSI 19)
- Cesarean Section--Nulliparous, Term, Singleton, Vertex (PC-02)
- Cesarean Section--Nulliparous, Term, Singleton, Vertex, Age Adjusted
- Cesarean Section--Term, Singleton, Vertex (AHRQ IQI 21)
- Cesarean Section-Primary (AHRQ IQI 33)
- Total Cesarean Rate
- Induction Rate
- Failed Induction Rate
- Appropriate DVT Prophylaxis in Women Undergoing C-Section (Leapfrog)
- Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC) Rate, All (AHRQ IQI 34)
- Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC) Rate, Uncomplicated (AHRQ IQI 22)
Newborn Bilirubin Screening Prior to Discharge (Leapfrog)*
- 5 Minute APGAR <7 Among All Deliveries >39 weeks (HEN)
- 5 Minute APGAR <7 in Early Term Newborns (HEN)
- Birth Trauma - Injury to Neonate (AHRQ PSI 17)
- Unexpected Newborn Complications (NQF)
Antenatal Steroids (PC-03)
VLBW (<1500g) NOT delivered at a Level III NICU
For more information see:
To request a demonstration of the CMDC Data Management Tool, please contact the CMDC Project Manager Anne Castles at 626-639-3044 or firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
CMDC Demonstration Site
See what the Data Center can do!
Profile in Improvement
Learn how Mary Campbell Bliss improved the preterm labor assessment process at Sutter Medical Center Sacramento by utilizing Rapid fetal fibronectin (R-fFN).